This year, with four little ones, we chose instead to head to Annapolis for a small town parade. On the way we stopped at a Veteran's Cemetery so our children could see the small white monuments marking the soldiers who have given all. It was going to be a hot and steamy day, but we found a nice shaded spot and the breeze kept us quite comfortable.
Pre-parade ... can you tell the kids really didn't want to post for this picture. They kept stealing sideways glances to see if the parade was starting. They're still pretty cute, aren't they?
Just so you know that Emerson doesn't always look half kooky ... here he is in all his cuteness!
Sweet Kate
We heard the drums and the kids were craning to see the action.
Emerson was trying to stretch out as far as he could to see what was coming, but with a tight grip on Dad's shirt :)
At last, the city policemen carrying the colors
Real American heroes ...
The fire engines are always a favorite ... but so loud. See all the covered ears :)
While we were waiting for the parade to start, an older man arrived with a large flag, neatly rolled up around its pole. He caught my attention because he was alone. When the parade started he unrolled his flag and held it high.
That's why we celebrate on this day. We celebrate the brave soldiers who have fought and who have died preserving for us this great nation and priceless freedom! Cookouts are great, and we had one ourselves, but let's not forget to remember.
*****
On a side note, I had planned to post this on Monday night, but really wasn't feeling well. The next day my symptoms worsened. Bard and I put our brilliant heads together and figured out I had Lyme disease. Lucky me!! I started on antibiotics that night and a couple of really uncomfortable days later, I was feeling more like myself. Oh ,those nasty ticks! While I'm feeling great today, I still feel uncertain that this disease is under control. I've got some more research to do and hopefully not to many more pictures of ticks to look at :)
No comments:
Post a Comment