Despite the lack of posts, we are super busy around here. Construction is starting to wind down for the upcoming winter. The kids and I have been enjoying the beautiful fall weather with a few outings. (sorry the pictures uploaded so small, just click on them to see them more clearly)
We visited
Ft. McHenry during their reenactment of the famous battle that prompted Francis Scott Key to write "The Star Spangled Banner."

There were lots of reenactors that really brought the events to life, including the fife and drum players, cannon firing, soldiers drilling, and the awesome raising of the huge flag over the fort.

These pictures are all a little blurry because I was by myself with the kids, so I was carrying Emerson in the sling and entertaining Jackson in the stroller while taking them :)
Mathis and some young boys participating in the reenactment.

The
USS Constellation that "lives" at the Baltimore Inner Harbor sailed back and forth past the fort.

outside the officer's quarters ...

After our trip to the fort, Mathis was consumed with all things related to Fort. McHenry and the War of 1812. We got several book from the library and read them every day for a week ... several times every day for a week ;) He memorized the Star Spangled Banner and now sings it constantly. He found a sand bucket and turned it upside down, used a red rope to tie it around his neck, and got a wooden spoon to hit his drum. He marched and marched around the house, inside and out singing the national anthem. He tried to get the little ones to sing it with them but they're struggling the words a little ;) One day he was frustrated because they wouldn't put their hands over their hearts. I explained that it was a bit difficult at the time because they were eating. Exasperated, he said, "Well, they could use their other hand!" One day I left Mathis, Kate, and Jackson at the table for a few minutes with instructions for Mathis and Kate to keep an eye on Jackson. When I returned, Jackson had thrown his food on the floor. When I asked the older kids if they had noticed, Mathis replied, "We weren't watching him, we were talking about the War of 1812 :) Well, of course! So now my job, as assigned by Mathis, is to make a soldier costume for him AND Bard. Oh yes, I'll get right on that. Mathis has already assured me that I don't need a pattern, just some fabric!
On the way home .... always a sign of a good day :)

And just for fun ... Mathis duplicated this block city from the book laying next to him.

Kate reading to Jackson (notice she's has a sleeping baby on her lap ... always the little mama).

Next ... the County Fair (I'm still working on the construction update)
No comments:
Post a Comment